karenlikescereal

viernes, agosto 26, 2005

packing light

Something amazing and unthinkable has happened- I have reduced the stuff I'll need for the next 9 months to just one medium-sized backpack! That's right, I'm sending my suitcase home with Peter's parents in a couple of weeks. Andrea and I traded packs because my travel pack turned out to be small, uncomfortable, and unbalanced (you should see the features, though!) I had to carry it for about 4 hours one day, and decided that it sucked. So I have her cool and slightly larger pack. The suitcase that's going home is filled with a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, sneakers, my summer clothes since we're coming home in May, souveniers, and a couple of books (I still have way too many.) I actually threw out the Spain Lonely Planet from when I studied abroad, because everything was in pesetas then, and the idea of spending all our time in Spain doing conversions for a currency that no longer exists (plus having to carry the guidebrick across the rest of Europe) seemed stupid. It doesn't really have sentimental value since I never wrote in it, so I'd rather just own a new one.

There is only one question left- should I send home my Tevas or my flip-flops? The Tevas are good for a whole day of walking (with socks if it's cold), but they're slightly larger and heavier. The flip-flops are more for just around the hostel. Help me with this life-changing decision!


2 Comments:

At 12:04 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Where is the love?? You haven't had a comment for like 2 weeks. Anyway, dear sis will come through!

First, I am totally impressed that you have downsized to only my pack!!! The contents of the suitcase do not really sound like enough stuff to make the rest fit in just the pack (do you remember how stuffed your suitcase was when you left??? I believe I sat on it to close it!) So I'm skeptical but I'm sure you're not lying.

Second, the Tevas vs. flip flops thing basically comes down to the likelihood that you will actually want to where your Tevas for full days of walking or other events that the flip flops would be unsuitable for. I ended up wearing my Tevas way less than I though I would on our trip, but you're more into them than I am. The winter argument pushes strongly for the Tevas. But there is no doubt that the flip flops are better slip on around the house/hostel footwear. I don't really see the weight as much of an issue.

Finally, sorry I wasn't on IM right before you were leaving. Mom and I did the corn maze that day!! It was really fun, as always, but too easy this year (the staff admitted it was not as hard as usual). So, if you ever want to set up an IM date (how cute) just tell me what time and I'll try to meet you online.

How's Westport?

-Andrea

 
At 8:25 a. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

OK, just the pack is an exaggeration. The stuff really fits in the pack, my daypack, and my baggallini bag... but there is a lot of stuff that will get used up as I go. In the winter I'll wear more stuff; I'll ditch my German and French books after I learn everything in them and my 3 reading books after I read them (they were on sale!); I'll ditch the Germany and France guidebooks after we go there because they're both slightly out of date; I have extra toiletries; and there is more food than I usually carry because we just left our apartment.

Still undecided about the Tevas. Westport is cool- we're in an AWESOME hostel with a really cool Irish girl working there who gave us freshly baked bananna bread! We had a 10-bed room to ourselves last night and all the bedding is brand-new. Plus we're right by the canals instead of in the middle of nowhere.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home