karenlikescereal

martes, septiembre 20, 2005

deutsch lernen

German is the best language- it's just a whole bunch of little words stuck together in the most logical, literal way to make really big words. Schlossgartenbrucke: castle garden bridge. Geldruckgabe: coin back giving (coin return slot.) And Germany, unlike France, is perfectly happy to steal and make use of as many English words as possible. I've been studying Instant German for almost 6 weeks, I have two really easy novels (the German translation of Pobre Ana and another one called Hilde und Gunter, which is about a brother and sister that are detectives), and I bought a 1 euro mini book about two little kids dressing up like Mary and Joseph. I love the mini bucher- they're cheaper AND smaller to carry. Now, with any luck, we're heading for Berlin to enroll in a beginner's language class for a couple of weeks. Even better.

Everyone should go to Hamburg. It has more canals and bridges than Venice, and Sunday morning from 5-10 am there is a fish market with beer and bratwurst everywhere, and a live band in a warehouse doing covers of old German and English pop songs! How could you possibly not have fun?

Now we're in Schwerin, which is oddly quiet- as if the streets were carpeted.


3 Comments:

At 12:14 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

I think it's far more efficient to have many words that mean different things, instead of having to string together small words to define new concepts. I mean, look at Orwell's 1984, for example. That was not a superior language system.

Besides, how are the police supposed to enforce laws when they have to write "Geschwendigkeitsüberschreitung" for every speeding ticket?

 
At 8:06 a. m., Blogger Alan said...

Hallo Karen. Ich werde ungefa:hr 7. Octobre in Berlin ankommen. Ich werde auch nach Warschau fahren und zuruck nach Berlin. Wir beiden sollten spa:ter im Detail emailen.

Ciao,
Alan

 
At 8:25 a. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

yeah, but if they make up big words out of little words, and I know the little words, then I can figure out the big words!

Alan: Berlin appears to be the ugliest city ever.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home