karenlikescereal

sábado, enero 07, 2006

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!

Actually, nothing is rotten. It's far too cold for anything to rot.

So, I did a pretty good job of seeing Copenhagen in 24 hours. It started at night- I went out with a bunch of people from Australia, Oklahoma, Iceland, and Germany. The boys kept buying us alternate rounds of tequila shots and these disgusting salty licorice flavored shots. Both tasted so horrible (especially in alternation with each other!) that they almost negated the joy of getting free drinks. Dory from Iceland accused me of "not being a Viking" because I objected to the salty licorice one.

The next morning, four of us dragged ourselves out of a Viking drink haze to go on a walking tour at approximately 28 degrees and lightly snowing. The guide was pretty good, but seemed to have no concept that it was cold outside. We would leave a building and then he'd start talking in the cold. After thawing, we went to Christiania, the hippie commune. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about- it's kind of like Ithaca except more rundown. The highlight was fires in garbage cans that we could get warm by. Finally, we spent almost two hours in a free museum that had a fantastic exhibit about Danish life from the 1600s to today. I probably could have spent 4 hours in that one exhibit alone. It's the Nationalmuseet, if you're heading to Copenhagen anytime soon.

Danishes (the pastry) are called Vienna bread here.

Tomorrow: Berlin! And haircut! I vetoed the Ellen DeGeneres (sp?) look- I need my hair to go down into my coat in this kind of weather!


6 Comments:

At 6:31 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

My friend had his Swedish friend in town last week and his girlfriend was sharing some kind of Swedish "candy," she handed it out to all of us and had us try them at the same time... IT WAS THAT SALTY LICORICE FLAVOR. It must be some weird Scandinavian thing.

 
At 6:35 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Also I thought the Nationalmuseet was not one of the best museums I've been to, I liked the Danish WWII resistance exhibit way better than the permanent stuff. I also thought Christiania was cool and bizarre, but I have never been to Ithaca ;)

I am so jealous about Berlin. The A & O hostel right by Zoological Garden Bahn stop was one of the best hostels I stayed in, but I guess you have been to Berlin before and know places to stay.

How long are you in Europe for? I am restless already am halfheartedly planning a trip to Bangkok.

 
At 3:47 a. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

Ithaca is in the fingerlakes in New York! You should go if you have a car. I can hook you up with my friend's brothers who live there.

I'm glad you liked the A&O- I think I have a pretty good chance of working there since it's so huge, and I know someone who used to work there. But I thought it might not be good to live in because of being so big. OK, it'll be my first stop!

I'm in Europe for 2-5 months- I don't even have a ticket home. I'm thinking of going to Spain for the first two weeks of March and then going to Australia for a month, because it's summer there!

 
At 1:27 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Yeah... but the A & O wons the "best bathrooms/showers in a hostel" award. I could probably live there.

I am so jealous. I have wanderlust already and I am making my boyfriend crazy.

 
At 2:11 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

No short hair?! Bummer - that was going to be exciting. But I guess if it's that cold then you shouldn't do it. Maybe you should get it cut when you go to Australia!

I hope you have an easy time finding a job in Berlin. Good luck!

Oh, and people love the model Smart Car you gave my for Christmas!

-Andrea

 
At 8:27 a. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

Yeah, the A&O's bathrooms are unbelievable! But the beds are crappy and there's no kitchen. Kitchen = important for 6 week stay.

I'm still cutting my hair a lot shorter, and I will probably cut it Ellen short if/when I go someplace hot.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home