karenlikescereal

lunes, marzo 13, 2006

Toros!

(pictures to follow)

I saw a bullfight! I thought it was only 3 bulls, but it was actually 6- two for each bullfighter. First the bull runs around at a bunch of guys with pink capes, who bravely hide behind big wooden barriers when it gets near them. Then an armored guy with an armored horse comes out and stabs the bull with a lance. After that, two guys stick things in its back that stay there. Then the famous guy comes out, dances with the bull and a cape for a long time, and kills it with a sword.

For the first two bulls, I was like, "what a cool Spanish tradition!" but the third and fourth kills weren´t as clean, and the animal rights activist in me (buried deep below the "vegetarians suck" side of me) came out a little. I´m ok with the fighting and the killing (they use the meat, and Ubrique also is famous for leather products), but really, 10 guys against one bull?

Jesulin de Ubrique was the second bullfighter, and everyone loved him since it was his hometown. I liked him too. He´s hot and he´s very theatrical. He showed off by turning his back to the bull, kneeling in front of it, and putting his sword on its forehead. But apparently he has a bad name for doing scandalous things and being sexist (he wouldn´t fight in the same bullfight as Cristina something, the famous woman bullfighter.) He held a special all-woman-audience bullfight and they threw underwear at him. And during the fight I saw, he drained a fan´s wineskin after his second fight (apparently a no-no.)

Anyhow, I now feel thoroughly Spanish.