karenlikescereal

martes, abril 25, 2006

apts / housing / rooms / shared

I´ve been thinking about whether I should get an apartment in Illinois all by myself (I believe that is called a "1BR"?) or with people (shared, rooms, co-op.) See, Jon had crappy roommates and then lived alone after that, but Emily always had cool roommates. Eric had roommates that were just there to split the rent. Nick never had roommates, unless you count Jarpen, Karlanda, and Ektorp.

I need my alone time, but I also like having people around. I´ve been sleeping with about 7 other people in the same room for the last ten months, and I like my apartment-mates in Valencia. And I loved having a suite in college. So I´m leaning toward shared. But am I crazy?


6 Comments:

At 9:14 a. m., Blogger Bernardo de Balbuena said...

Te equivocas, güerita. Nick had four roommates when he lived in France, and he vowed to never have roommates again. I say go for the 1BR.

 
At 10:27 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Keep in mind that while you're traveling around you may have had some awful roommates, but you could just leave at any time. That won't be the case in Illinois.

I say: first year, go it alone. If you find it's terribly lonely, move in with someone you know for the second year.

My roommates weren't that awful really, I just found out quickly that I'm not a roommate kind of guy.

 
At 6:25 p. m., Blogger Alan said...

In contrast, I would say get roommates. This from someone that has lived in Urbana, and also lived alone his first year of grad school (in Madison). You'll need company to stay sane in grad school, and it's harder to meet people in grad school, so roommates help.

Do it. Or else you'll end up like I was, hating grad school and being depressed and changing your life and sticking it out to get a Masters and then going to work in London for a few months which turns into a fantastic year of travelling. Which all worked out in the end, mind you.

Do you mind if I just use your blog to rant from now on?

 
At 11:03 a. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

Well, Nick, maybe if you hadn´t peed on the floor you would have gotten along better with your roommates. And I think it would be better to live with people the first year, and then if I don´t like it, move out the second year when I already know people there. And Alan, the blog is open for ranting as long as you always agree with me about everything.

 
At 7:53 a. m., Blogger Scraggle18 said...

I say get roommates! Alan is right - grad school is potentially isolating. Coming home to an eternally empty space can be sad, when you have tons of work to do. As long as you have your own room where you can close the door and be alone or work if you need to, having roommates is going to be great. I used to come home from law classes and take a nap, then caffeinate and do work until dinnertime. After dinner, I'd hang out with Bret and/or others playing nintendo until everyone went to bed. (heh, then I'd do work again.) The social times will keep you from going crazy.

 
At 4:36 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

I'm been living in a one bedroom for the past year and a half. Now I'm moving into a big house with four other people.

We'll see how I like it! I'm treating it as a experiment. I dig the privacy of living alone, but I found myself missing having people around all the time.

-Toph

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home