karenlikescereal

jueves, junio 01, 2006

hey, it's June!

I just spent three days doing Grandma duty, which means no internet, no cell phone service, no TV, no radio, no junk food, and no trash can. Hey, having a trash can is more important than you think. But she somehow manages to get rid of all her garbage... Paper: in the wood stove. Plastic containers: washed and saved. Plastic wrappings: also in the wood stove. Vegetable matter: thrown over the bank. Chicken bones: I don't know and I don't want to know.

It's never that bad. The area is kind of primally beautiful... sometimes it reminds me of the Garden of Eden. I mean, we all dread going, but once you get there and decelerate from normal life at 65 mph to Grandma life at 5 mph, it's kind of relaxing. Unless you stay too long, and then you go crazy. Just ask my uncle who has lived there most of his life.


2 Comments:

At 11:08 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Um.. plastic wrappings in the wood stove? That's awfully cool of her not to contribute to the world waste problem, but burning plastics at home is probably worse for the environment (and for her, breathing in all kinds of carcinogens) than sending them to a dump.

Just sayin'.

 
At 9:02 p. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

I agree, I'm just the messenger. Though she doesn't actually use very much that has packaging- nowadays, she subsists primarily on stuff that my parents cook and freeze for her in little tupperware containers.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home