Home is where you unpack your stuff.
For the first time in over 13 months, I am unpacked and living in one place! And it's NICE, in an old house kind of way, where you trade the occasional nonopenable window and creaky floor for character and soul. My room is about 12' by 14' with a huge closet. It's furnished and comes with a rock-hard (just the way I like it) queen-sized bed. My roommate, Shelly, seems really easy to live with- and to prove it, she went home to California for the weekend.
I do have a lot of stuff- five boxes of it is Spanish teacher crap which used to fill up my whole classroom, so that's no mystery. As for the rest of it, I've come to the realization that I'm holding onto things that might one day be potentially useful (phone, VCR, shower curtain, rug etc.) but that I'm not currently using. This is a bad thing. I've owned these things for up to 10 years and moved some them upwards of 6 times... and of course, used them for one or two out of those ten years, which makes it worth it? I'm going to try to sell as many of them as possible. At which point, my roommate is going to leave, and then I'll have to reacquire some of them. Whatever.
1 Comments:
If you have storage room, I wouldn't get rid of that useful stuff yet (if it's stuff you like) because you're probably going to move again in not so long and there is a great joy that comes in finally using stuff that has journeyed with you for so long. Example: finally using my bookshelf with matching corner ends when I have kept the corner ends in storage for years because my dorm rooms were so small. Now, at last, they all have a home. :)
Publicar un comentario
<< Home