karenlikescereal

lunes, agosto 28, 2006

taller people are smarter!

If anything has ever merited reposting, this does! (Thanks, Eric.)

Actually, it's not really that groundbreaking- it names prenatal and infant nutrition as a primary help or hindrance for growth. And children who grow very quickly (me) probably have brains that also develop very quickly.

Still, I always did notice that there were a lot of tall people at Williams!


6 Comments:

At 2:49 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Oh give me a break..... I hope they weren't federally funded. This seems like they obtained and crunched their numbers in a quasi-scientific manner.

Anyways, what this study says is "good prenatal care simultaneously helps mental & physical growth" which means that if someone gets good prenatal care and their brain is allowed to develop better because of it, they will probably be taller than if they didn't get good prenatal care.

This doesn't seem take into account that some people are genetically shorter, and if they get good prenatal care, then according to this study, they shouldn't be any less intelligent.

I hope people don't honestly beleive this study, for it seems that this would encourage discrimination of short people.

BTW, I'm 6'3

 
At 2:57 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Here is the actual paper, which, at around 50 pages, is shockingly detailed and not pseudo-scientific at all. No I didn't read it, but I skimmed it and gosh there were a lot of fancy greek symbols :-) Reading this paper made me glad I decided not to get a Psychology degree... imagine this is what you spend 5 years developing! So funny.

 
At 8:29 a. m., Blogger Scraggle18 said...

Oh no! I hope Rachel doesn't read this. Hehehe. She has SUCH a complex about being short!!

I pretty much pay no attention to height. Tall, short -- its pretty much based on the length of the femur bone, isn't it? Hehe.

I bet its true that better pre-natal nourishment helps those that have the potential for long leg bones to reach that potential, and brains to reach their potential as well -- but there are always going to be people that wouldn't have been tall anyway, so the extra nourishment goes to the brain, but they stay short. Like Rachel and me. =)

*hugs people of all heights*

*passes peace pipe to Rachel and forces her to smoke it*

 
At 9:02 a. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

It's just a correlational study... you can't say that a particular tall person will be smart any more than you can say that an Asian person will be good at math, that a black person will be good at basketball, or that a latino person won't speak English. Same for a short person not being smart.

So relax, everybody! Correlation is not causation!

 
At 6:05 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

I accept the peace pipe and will take one puff of it, afterward blowing the smoke in Karen's face. :) I am getting better about this being short thing but I'm not completely over it. I still maintain there is plenty of discrimination against short people out there by ignorant folks (thank you, Mike) as I witness at work whenever someone says, "can I just ask how old you are? You look like you're in high school!" (which I take to mean they don't think I'm qualified for my job, but maybe they are just asking, and yes, I know that someday I'll be glad when someone thinks I'm young, but not now). Do any of you get this question all the time from complete strangers?

 
At 10:32 p. m., Blogger karenlikescereal said...

OK, you short people aren't the only ones who are discriminated against, so get over it! Life at the other end of the bell curve is just as annoying. Try not being able to buy long pants and long sleeved shirts because they look ridiculous- or any shirts for that matter because they show your midriff- or short skirts because they're totally scandalous. My feet are larger than the largest standard women's shoe size, and even if I do find women's shoes, I can't wear heels. I don't fit in a lot of bus seats or car seats. My dating pool is about the top 5% of the male popluation. I'm larger than all the women in Spain. And I have been cast as a man multiple times in plays, because for some reason tall = male. No chance at ever being a romantic lead. Even though I'm skinny, I wear the largest women's sizes and I can even shop in plus size stores. And on top of all that, I have somewhat chronic back pain because I grew too fast. Rachel, I know you have some of those problems at the other end, but being tall is NOT EASY!

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home