karenlikescereal

domingo, febrero 03, 2008

targeted advertising?

When I think of semi-sentient ad content, I think of Google, not ecampus.com. But I just got an email entitled "Valentine's Day Gifts Everyone Will Love" from ecampus.com, and it had this surprisingly small target-marketed book:

Your Diet Is Driving Me Crazy: When Food Conflicts Get in the Way of Your Love Life

It's obviously for people who are going out with vegans! But, since vegans are like 0.2% of the population, and vegans who don't live on communes and date other vegans are an even smaller percentage, the price for a new copy of this book has been reduced from $14.95 to $1.82. I'm kind of tempted... except Charles's diet doesn't actually drive me crazy, as I reflected while gnawing on chicken wings next to his black bean burger this very day.

[Update: I found it on Amazon and Chapter 7, the vegetarian/ carnivore chapter, is entitled "It'd be so much easier if you'd just eat meat."]

Also recommended was Strangling Your Husband Is Not an Option: A Practical Guide to Dramatically Improving Your Marriage. I'm having trouble picturing that as a Valentine's Day gift anyone would love. I assume it would be from the husband to the wife, at which point the wife would presumably strangle the husband for not getting her some goddamn chocolate or flowers, damnit, is it really that hard to pretend to be romantic once a year?

Apparently, husbands who suspect their wife has strangling impulses are a much larger segment of the population than vegans, because that book has only been reduced from $19.92 to $13.03.