karenlikescereal

lunes, mayo 26, 2008

movin' on up

The decor of my house has a strict Craigslist motif. The priciest item was the $40 couch (which I still kind of regret because it's too squishy and the pillows fall off, and one spring is kind of broken but it only seems to be a problem when there are over 150 lbs. on the couch), but this Israeli guy somehow hypnotized me into buying it. "It's from a real family," he said. "Not students. Real People."

The cheapest item was three crappy kitchen chairs for $3 (total, not each.) They worked pretty well for most of the year, but after a while the legs started to look like this:

"kinda wobbly"

I fixed them myself, but they re-bent much quicker than the first time. Apparently this is some property of metal that I haven't been able to find on the internet, probably because I don't know the word for it. It's also the reason why you can't re-straighten a bent ski pole... help me out.

I looked around Craigslist for some new chairs, but no one had three. I looked in real stores for chairs, but they only come with a table. (That's weird- it's like sheets only coming with a bed, or light bulbs only coming with a lamp, or books only coming with a bookshelf!)

So, I was at that point fully justified in going to the Most Wonderful of All Stores, IKEA, and picking out three black Stefan chairs.

Life in grad school is pretty luxurious, I have to say. I mean, I have cartons of 100% juice in the fridge, I regularly get to eat at restaurants, and now I have brand-new furniture. What's next, Champaign and caviar? Ha. ha.