conspicuous consumption
I've been buying a lot of stuff recently... mostly stuff that I really need, like new hiking shoes. (I extended the shopping "pleasure" by buying them six or eight times, and then returning them for various minute flaws. I netted two pairs of hiking shoes.) During the year, I'm only allowed to come out of my hole for grocery shopping, so I've just been catching up.
But it does make me feel like a consumer. I've been to mall-land too many times. Bed, Bath, and Beyond is a warehouse of ideas people come up with in the shower: a salad spinner that also grates cheese! A popsicle maker that you can put alcohol in! Hmm, wait, you can do that with... nevermind.
Fortunately, I still consume a lot less than these people:
http://chambana.craigslist.org/gms/738383381.html
Look quick before it's gone.
-they're selling a 50" TV, a 42" TV, and a 27" TV so they can upgrade to a 62" TV. Hey, guess what? You already have 119 inches of televisions!
-they're selling an electric grill and a charcoal grill because they've already bought a bigger charcoal grill.
- Printer: "Only selling because its not what I thought when I bought it $90" Did you think it was a huge TV or a huge grill? Also, this problem can be solved by waiting 15 seconds before buying things.
-"DYNALAB SPEAKERS SET OF 2 WORKS PERFECTLY MY WIFE JUST HATES THE FACT THAT THEY ARE SO LOUD." This problem can be solved using the volume knob on any of your three TVs that may be hooked up to the speakers.
Ah, the Joneses. Be sure you keep up with their credit card debt number.
1 Comments:
You sound like such a curmudgeon! I think it's funny! =)
Oh, by the way, I'm dating a vegetarian guy! He's totally crunchy, and in his 4th year in the Psychology PhD program. He went to your school (Illinois-UC) for undergrad!
Publicar un comentario
<< Home