A bevy of officiants
I was grilled at Ezra and Sara's wedding-- by a friend of the bride, whom we don't know as well-- about Charles's ministerial qualifications. "Um, he's not going into ministry, he only does this for friends," I stumbled. "See, the state has to recognize all religions equally, even if they're not Chr... even if they don't have an actual church... um, it's not very difficult to get your... certification."
Charles is an Ordained Clergy Person (OCP) in the Church of Spiritual Humanism, motto: "You can become an ordained member of the Spiritual Humanist clergy for FREE right now!"
You can also become a Priest, Chaplain, or Wedding Officiant, but only if you pony up some cash. The central tenet of the religion is that religion must be based on reason, which is a pretty good one, I have to say. Spiritual Humanism also acknowledges that humans need these stupid irrational things called rituals, and suggests some more reasonable ones, such as Learned Optimism and Continual Improvement.
To my surprise, also attending this wedding were not one but TWO ministers from the Universal Life Church, motto: "Over 20 million ministers ordained since 1959" and "We are all children of the same universe." (I like that because it's not offensive to aliens.)
I didn't realize internet ministry was becoming a thing! Still, I totally think Charles could have taken those two rival church ministers if it came down to it. Their stupid dove and lighted monastery is no match for the power of the scientific method.
0 Comments:
Publicar un comentario
<< Home