babies, babies everywhere
All my friends are having babies (I recently went to a baby shower with another baby at it!), and it's come to my attention that some of my mental representations of babies are different than other people's:
1) I think babies should properly be referred to as "it." I don't consider them gendered until age 2 or so. Once they have toy preferences for trucks versus dolls (and they do, according to some people I babysat for that bought both trucks and dolls before their children were born), then they can become gendered.
2) Very much related, I think of babies as pets that eventually grow up to be people. When do they become people? Well, I'm a linguist- when they start talking, of course! Interestingly enough, although I don't think of animals as having language, when a baby starts talking like Coco the gorilla, I do consider the baby to already have language (me banana eat eat banana yum.) That's because I'm optimistic that the baby will go on to develop more language.
3) I don't consider a "mom" to be just anyone who happens to have a baby. Just as the baby takes a couple of years to become a person, the woman who has the baby takes a couple of years to become a "mom." Actually, my mental representation of a mom is a woman above the age of 35 who wears pleated pants and makes desserts, who may or may not actually have children. (Sorry, mom.)
4 Comments:
Krestia and I have said that we don't want to dress our daughter entirely in pink from the moment she's born--you wouldn't believe how much that bothers some people. I think people need to have things like specific gendered color assignments in the first few years, but I'm not sure why. Also--I will never wear pleated pants. :)
I think they want the color coding because the baby is naturaly ungendered!
Back in the old days, all babies wore the same white dresses, and no one cared.
I agree with much of what you say!! The reverse of your concept of babies-as-pets is true, though, which you might disagree with: that domestic in-house fluffy pets like dogs and cats can become akin to human babies. Not the same, mind you, but similar enough to at least make the comparison. Almost Congruent, perhaps? (Same type of shape, but on smaller scale?)
Anyway, my boyfriend says he wants to have 12 kids with me: 6 boys and 6 girls. Isn't that insane? I think it's adorable. We're trying to take it slow, though, despite our mutual desires to go elope and start a family RIGHT NOW. We're really trying to behave normally. Trying!!!!
How are you going to take care of 12 kids if you don't even do your own laundry?!?!?
Publicar un comentario
<< Home