Problem with grad school: not enough spoon-feeding
I mean this literally. My professors are extremely averse to teaching us any kind of computing or programming skills. This is true from the basic (nested Excel functions, E-Prime, SPSS stats, basic operation of Praat) to the advanced (Praat scripting, file management in Linux, statistics in R).
They have plenty of excuses for this, but by far the #1 is "No one taught me, I had to learn it for myself." Oh, no one taught you? So now that you have the secret you want to HIDE IT UNDER A MATTRESS? Or maybe you could DO SOMETHING USEFUL and pass your hours and hours of trial and error on to others so that we don't all spend our time REINVENTING THE WHEEL doing crappy half-assed things and wasting hundreds of hours of our lives in the process!
Really, there is only one explanation for having these skills, making students' grades dependent (indirectly) on the use of them, and yet not teaching them. You are a bad teacher. You have never heard of assessing prior knowledge and then teaching new material. You would not last five minutes in a situation where real teaching is required (e.g. middle school.) You may also be a sadist. Please see a therapist immediately.
3 Comments:
Hey now. I taught you basic Praat skills.
-Steve
Oh, yeah- you taught us enough to do what we had to do in that class. But no one else did! Don't you think in Phono 1 we should have learned TextGrids at least???
Yeah, I should have taught you how to make text grids when we did ToBI. It's such a useful skill. But I was pretty worn down/stressed out by that point in the semester.
Sorry about your other profs. :-(
Publicar un comentario
<< Home