karenlikescereal

domingo, mayo 16, 2010

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Charles took a bird-watching class, so I've been learning more than I ever wanted to know about birds. Previous knowledge: robin, chickadee, cardinal, hummingbird, duck, goose, mourning dove. New knowledge: goldfinch, catbird, summer tanager, northern flicker, thrush. Thrush is a stretch. Oh well.

This mourning dove nested directly in front of our front door. It had two white eggs, so I was psyched to see the babies. But it and the eggs were gone one day.


And this goose nested on a tree that fell across the river (the nest is right above my head, in this photo). She was sitting on the nest with dedication, but then we went one day and she was off the nest, and there was no egg. Charles's professor thought something ate it. I kind of think she laid it and it rolled off the log into the water. This is why if your babies come encased inside balls, you should have them on a concave rather than convex surface. Not sure if that can be generalized as any sort of life lesson.


Here's us birdwatching.


The Canada geese that overrun the park we live in are still my favorite. They remind me of herbivorous dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. They didn't have as many babies this year, but here are some shots I got of them when they were cute yellow fluffballs. Now they're awkward tan adolescents. After I took the first picture, the parents immediately started pecking at the babies and submerging them. I think they were yelling at them for taking so long in getting in the water when I was obviously about to eat them. The second picture shows goose plural marriage and the large resulting family. Yes, yes I did just watch the third season of Big Love. Why do you ask?